Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Introduction

I started building model rockets in August of 2005 for a project with boys at my church. I thought it might be a good idea to build one before ordering 24 rockets for kids ages 6-12 to build. I got my first kit at Hobby Lobby, the Estes "Yankee". I didn't know what I was doing but I was excited to give it a try.

The first kit was a little more difficult than I thought it would be. I had to cut the fins out myself and glue them to the body tube. After doing all the cutting and gluing I was ready for some paint. I had some spray paint laying around and even though it didn't match the color on the package I thought it would look cool. The kit turned out looking pretty good. But would it fly? After all the work I had put into cutting, sanding, and painting I didn't want the model to blow up in the launch pad.

On Monday, August 1st 2005 the "Yankee" made it's maiden flight. The excitement of seeing the rocket I had built zoom into the air like one of it's big brothers made my heart jump. I heard the distinctive "foomp" of the ejection charge and my little rocket floated gently back to earth.

Needless to say I was hooked and I couldn't wait to get my next rocket and start building. After hunting around I found the best little store on the web for model rockets (see my links for the store). I ordered what I needed for the project and ordered one for myself too. I am looking forward to many more successful launches and lots more fun in model rocketry.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home